Thursday, February 9, 2017

What a Difference a Day Makes

Yesterday, the temperature hit 62F (almost 17C)- it was a sunny springlike day, the sort of day on which one could comfortably wear shorts and a T-shirt. Today... not so much. It was a snowy, windy day, with accumulations of eight inches to a foot. Being the sort who thinks discretion is the better part of valor, I left my car safely ensconced in the parking lot at work and took the 5:28AM Metro-North Hudson Line train to the Yonkers train station, where I picked up the Bee-Line 25 bus which dropped me off four blocks away from home. Oddly enough, the Sanitation Department was collecting the garbage on this blizzard-y day, and I got home just in time to put the garbage on the curb to be picked up.

I spent about half an hour shoveling snow before I realized that the storm was picking up, so it would be better to go to sleep for a few hours, by which I mean pass out from exhaustion. By the time I woke up around 2PM, the storm had subsided, and I was greeted by a foot-deep drift in front of my door. Oh, well, there's not much to shovel- a bit of sidewalk and the walkway between my house and the next-door house. It took well under an hour to get it all cleared.

I was able to catch some more hours of sleep before having to wake up in time to catch the old 25 bus to the Yonkers train station- besides myself, there were only two other passengers on the bus, which wends its way from the subway station at 238th St and White Plains Rd in the Bronx to the Yonkers train station. The bus goes to the Cross County Shopping Center, so it usually has a decent crowd of riders, but today most of the stores in the mall were closed. Oddly enough, the bus made good time through the snowy labyrinth of hilly Yonkers streets. The train, on the other hand, was running fifteen minutes late, but it got me to my destination with plenty of time to spare. I walked on the slippery streets to my workplace with no mishaps.

Tonight, the temperature is supposed to bottom out at a chilly 19F (-7C), with wind gusts up to 40MPH. Needless to say, it is going to be a brutal, bone chilling night. One of the managers took Fred and Ginger home with him, so I don't have to worry about them on this cold, cold night. It's a far cry from the balminess of Wednesday, but I'll get through it all with some luck, some pluck, and the six layers of clothing that I packed for the night.

3 comments:

Robert Mcneilly said...

I'm wanting more snow. Hard to snowboard on grass.

Robert Mcneilly said...

I'm wanting more snow. Hard to snowboard on grass.

Big Bad Bald Bastard said...

I don't mind the snow, but the immediate freeze afterwards was pretty bad.